I came across the following video when reading the latest blog entry at one of my favorite blogs: cool cat teacher. Vicki Davis an educator from Georgia maintains the blog. We've all taken various paths that have led us to PND. Why are you here? What led you to teach? American society doesn't give us much credit. Helicopter parents and children equipped with an innate sense of entitlement make our tasks very difficult. So why do we do it? Why do you do it? Should be nice to see our collective responses. There is of course always more good than evil. More joy than pain. If we look in the right place.
Leave your comments below and share the video with whoever you like.
Saturday, March 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I wanted a career that was more meaningful than wearing a trading jacket on the floor of the CBOT and screaming and yelling all day. I wanted the challenge of teaching the Gospel to Catholic High School Students.
I am here because the faculty have made me feel at home. We really do have a great group of individuals that truly care about each other. I am also thankful that I have more time at home with my own familiy since I am not commuting to work an hour and a half each way any longer. There are financial sacrifices we make but being able to pray in class and having an option to worship in the morning before my day starts is pretty amazing.
Charlie, I love this story. It was the first story I ever read in Chicken Soup for the Soul. I think it's called "One At A Time." I am here because I have been called to serve Him. I know that although I must make a living, what I most need to make is a life...especially one that I can be proud of at the end of my days. By taking seriously the presence of Christ in the young people that I encounter and teach, I honor all those teachers of Christ who did the same for me. I am here to show our young people that a life rooted in Christ is the education that will take them further than any other.
F.R.O.G. = Faith and Reliance On God
I wanted to become an educator back in 1965...ok I'm old. I had a passion to work with kids; and after retiring from the public I still had the energy and wanted to give back, assist and be a role-model for kids. Today I seek out those kids who need some sort of positive interraction and guidance within our Mission Statement. Still after 36 years I look forward to coming to school and giving of myself in a positive way to the students at PND.
@ Peggy
We're glad you're here
@ Jen
Treasure is always in heaven
@ Mike
Not old just wise. You've got at least another 20 to go.
Post a Comment