Friday, November 13, 2009

Some Interesting Pieces


While browsing through some of the popular education blogs I ran across some interesting finds this week that I feel like sharing. The first is a video made and produced by a 14 year old high school student as a project for her history class. I highlight this video for its high quality but also as an example of some of the types of work that will be readily possible in a 1:1 classroom. The uniqueness of web 2.0 technologies is that student work can become part of the public record. Future students researching Guthrie's life and contributions will readily find this video on Youtube.



Given the fact that anyone can now produce and publish to the web it becomes even more important to be able to think critically about the information being presented. Is there bias? Is there a hidden agenda? How do we know the claims being made are factual? To be critical consumers of knowledge is a 21st century skill that is now more important than ever.


This next piece is an interesting video from a high school math teacher who had a little fun on halloween. Enjoy but look out it turns a little frightening towards the end.

3 comments:

Ms. P. said...

I really liked the Woody Guthrie video. It would be helpful to see the rubric for the assignment. Was this part of a larger group of postings?


I also like at the end how the "credits" for information were given. I would have preferred to see it in MLA format, but for a freshman, she did wonderful work. Her sources were well chosen.

Wendy Strauss said...

We're already building the foundation for this in Intermediate Technology Applications. Since the class will be moved to freshman level, all students will eventually be ready to go with the skills to use in all classes.

Charlie A. Roy said...

@ Jen
It's been a while for me to comment about MLA vs. APA or any other letter combination for that matter.

@ Wendy
That's what I'm thinking. It really opens the doors when the majority of our 9th graders will have these skills.