Thursday, August 6, 2009

New School Design

Here is a link to an article in Education Week by one of the leading school design firms in the world. What makes this design firm unique is their commitment to progressive education reform. Below is a sample design for building the school around the concept of academic departments rather than just counting classrooms. Take a look and share your thoughts.



The idea creates common shared space localized storage and what could be considered to be a miniature teacher's lounge. It helps reduce the overall number of classrooms needed as well which helps save in the end cost.

Check out some more interesting ideas: here

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a blurb from the article--I pray for a school where everyone finally understands this:


Celebrate art, music, and performance. As Leonardo da Vinci proved, there is no inherent
conflict between the sciences and the arts, but this understanding has been slow to seep into
the educational mind-set. In fact, the sciences and the arts are much more closely aligned in
the 21st century than at any other time in human history. In this creative age, artistic
enterprises that have existed on the fringes of our education system need to assume their
rightful place as the centerpiece of each student’s educational experience. Schools should be
encouraged to direct their facilities dollars toward changes that help improve their offerings in
art, music, and performance.

Wendy Strauss said...

Above was from me, Wendy Strauss. I did not click anonymous.

Charlie Roy said...

Perhaps as we go about redesigning the curriculum for the trimester transition we should consider strengthening the fine arts requirement or making it a separate requirement from the foreign language requirement. Eliminating study halls will unable more electives to be offered. I'd advocate exposing our students to the fine arts (all students) may be a way to help develop their entire person.

Ms. P. said...

Wendy & Charlie, I could not agree more with you in your commitment to the Arts.
I found the following interesting: "Will the money be used to break down the anonymity of the larger school by creating small, personalized learning communities of between
100 and 125 students and from four to six teachers? These communities would replace
classrooms with multifaceted learning studios and common areas for various collaborative and hands-on activities." I think that grouping like-department would benefit the curriculum. For example, I would love to be grouped with a History teacher & a Theology teacher. The richness and depth of the teaching with a multi-disciplinary approach is beneficial for making connections to the material with the students and allowing them to make connections for us.

I also noticed that the classrooms in the model look a great deal like the yearbook room...Alexis's current classroom. It's not exactly like that, but it has a similar feel with a nook in the back of the room, etc.